(New Hope, Pennsylvania, 1852 - 1946)
Florence Snell and her husband, Henry Snell (1858 - 1943) were seminal figures in the establishment of the New Hope Art Colony. Born in London, England, Florence Aimee Francis studied at the Art Students League in New York from 1882 until 1883, and then again from 1885 to 1886. She married Henry Snell, her first cousin, in 1888. The couple was friendly with the Lathrops, who they visited in Bucks County, beginning in 1898. While the Snells settled in New Hope by 1926, they spent much time at St. Ives in Cornwall, England, where Henry's mother had a manor house. It is thought that Walter Schofield visited them there. Henry was a teacher at the Philadelphia School of Design for Women from 1899 to 1943 and summered regularly in Gloucester, where he also taught. Florence's work was frequently exhibited both locally and nationally, including the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts as well as the New York Water Color Club. She was awarded the MacMillan landscape prize from the Association of Women Painters and Sculptors in New York in 1913.